Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Do Hard Drives Vibrate?

I noticed that when I put my hand on my portable 5TB hard drive, it has a slight vibration.  I didn't notice this before, so I was worried about it.

Google's AI tells me the following...

A small amount of vibration is normal for spinning drives. When in use, a hard drive's platter spins at 7,200 RPM, and its actuators and heads move to read and write data. This movement can cause a slight vibration in the X-Y plane. A healthy drive also makes mild, regular sounds of whirring. 
Here are some other things to consider about hard drive vibrations:
  • Rattling noises
    In most cases, rattling noises are normal and are no reason to worry. They are caused by mechanical parts of the HDD and just indicate that the drive is reading, writing or calibrating itself.
  • Shock resistance
    At average HDD shock resistance is 50+ G while operating and 300+ G while non-operating.
  • Driving a desktop hard drive
    Some say that you should not drive or expose a desktop hard drive to vibrations when powered on


No comments:

Post a Comment